Table of Contents
If you currently do or are interested in calisthenics, then you’re probably familiar with parallettes. These bars are parallel (hence the name) and they sit low to the floor, allowing you to do many exercises. Throughout this article, I will provide you with the best parallette bars for sale, whether you’re looking for metal or wooden models.
Before jumping into the product recommendations I will give a breakdown of the key features to look for. In addition to this, I will give a brief description of the exercise possibilities with these bars.
What To Look For
There are several factors to take into account before buying parallettes. Of course, you want to buy a product that’s sturdy, but also one that gives you enough height off the ground for certain exercises. Below are several key factors to look for.
- A non-slip base. Ideally, the bars you select should have a wide enough base with some traction to keep you safe while doing calisthenics.
- Durable construction for the bars themselves. Luckily, you won’t have to worry about this one too often because most parallettes are made of wood or steel. Still, be sure that the bars can support your weight before purchasing.
- Either added grips or bars that are naturally good for gripping. You don’t want to slip while performing some of the more difficult exercises.
- Look for bars that provide you with enough space off the floor. Parallette bars vary in height, but it’s best to buy a model that gives you enough room to transition from L-Sits to handstands.
- Price is obviously a factor to consider. If you’re on a budget, there’s plenty of affordable options. I must note that price reflects quality, but there’s no point in breaking the bank for these bars.
Vita Vibe Wood Parallettes Set
I’m a huge fan of calisthenics and it didn’t take me long to come to this decision. Vita Vibe makes some of the best parallette bars in the game. Although they are pricier than most, these are gymnastic quality bars that allow you to do any calisthenic-based exercises.
The grip on these is second to none. Each wood bar is beautifully finished and sanded very smooth. Vita Vibe offers a 10 year warranty, and these bars are made in the USA. The sets come in two sizes – 18 inches and 24 inches, and they provide you with enough space to transition from L-Sits to a handstand or plank.
Exercises with Parallettes
This piece of equipment is most often used for calisthenic movements, but there’s plenty of great bodyweight exercises you can do as well. Depending on what type of parallettes you buy, some of these exercises may not be possible, but most of the list below are considered to be staples.
- Push-up variations
- Suspended planks
- Flutter kicks
Several gymnastics-type movements are also possible with these bars. In fact, many of the calisthenic exercises that are possible derive from the parallel bars or Pommel horse.
Now it’s time to get started with the reviews. Juperbsky is a popular brand for training equipment, although they are most known for their parallettes. Perhaps the best thing about these is the respectable price, but there are multiple features that make these a best selling item.
- Added grip handles for comfort and a non-slip workout.
- You can choose from five different color options.
- The bars are durable and the base has non-slip rubber caps to make sure they stay in place.
- Constructed with commercial grade steel. These bars have a weight capacity of 2200 pounds.
- Storage is super easy because the dimensions 12x7x5.5 inches (Length x Width x Height)
- Juperbsky parallettes do not give you enough room to go from L-Sit to handstand.
- Difficult to find in stores
- Although the grip handles are solid, they will likely take a lot of wear and tear over time.
Overall, I think this is a good option if you’re new to calisthenics or not trying to spend a lot of money. These are especially good for push-up variations and handstands because of the flat, sturdy base.
I like to keep things relatively consistent and fair, so this article features two wood and two metal models. As I mentioned in the beginning of this article, Vita Vibe is my number one recommendation, but Anclle is a fierce competitor. The wood finish is beautiful on these bars, and they are durable as could be.
- Beautiful design and sturdy construction.
- For solid wood parallettes, these are an extremely affordable option.
- The company offers two different sizes depending on your needs. 25cm and 50cm.
- The 25cm model can hold up to 400kg while the 50cm model can hold up to 300kg.
- These bars feature handles that are non-slip and sweat absorbent.
- The 25cm model is not high enough off the ground to transition from L-Sits to planks or handstands.
- Some customers say that the wood finish is slick and therefore doesn’t have the best grip.
- For advanced users, even the 50cm model is too low and flawed to confidently perform difficult exercises.
At the end of the day, Anclle makes a quality product that won’t break the bank. They are not the best wood parallettes on the market, but they are certainly in the running.
Withgear Folding Push Up Bar
If you have zero calisthenics experience whatsoever, then these folding push-up bars are a great initial investment. Don’t let the folding design fool you because Withgear does not skimp on the quality side of things. These bars are made of duralumin, the same material used to make aircrafts, so they can hold over 600 pounds.
- These bars are the epitome of convenient and space-saving.
- They feature padded non-slip grips.
- More than anything, these are great for push-ups because they allow you to optimize angles.
- Lightweight design allows you to take these bars anywhere.
- One year risk-free warranty.
- Although you can perform a majority of calisthenic exercises with these, transitions will be hard due to the short height.
- The legs are held together by a bungee-cord type of material. Some customers fear the cords will not hold up with excessive use.
Other than the couple of cons, these are a great option. I especially recommend these bars if you travel often or like to workout on the go. Although some calisthenic transitions are not possible, these are great for perfecting the basic movements.
There’s no question about it, Vita Vibe makes the best parallette bars in the world. These bars are gymnastics-quality and made out of natural hardwood ash. You can purchase a set in two different lengths, and the 10-year warranty gives you a worry-free experience.
- Vita Vibe is the #1 best-selling brand for parallettes on several major online retailers – there is a reason for this.
- High enough off the ground to do L-sit and plank transitions.
- 10-year warranty beats any competing brands.
- Solid wood construction makes for good grip and durability.
- Pricey, but expect to pay a premium for the best product out there.
After doing extensive research, it’s clear that Vita Vibe paves the way in terms of parallettes. You can perform any calisthenic exercise on these bars, and safety will be a minimal concern due to the seamless construction. Hardwood ash is one of the strongest woods out there, and the dual-triangle bases made out of steel are a huge plus.
If price is not an issue for you, then stop wasting your time. This is the choice for you. After all, if you’re unsatisfied with your purchase or something goes wrong, the company offers a free 10-year warranty.
Using The Bars
If you made the decision to get yourself some parallettes, congratulations! You just took the leap towards calisthenic and home workout success. Perhaps you’re starting from the very beginning, and that’s perfectly fine. I decided to put together a small guide to start training.
- Before you jump in and attempt advanced exercises, it’s best to have an idea of your overall upper body strength. Suspended planks and handstands require a stronger upper body than push-ups, for example.
- Make sure that you set up the bars on a flat surface. Carpeted floors are fine most of the time, but just check for any imbalances before you start your workout.
- If you are relatively new to calisthenics, I suggest starting out with push-up variations or supported handstands until you build your strength.
- When you’re first learning how to transition from L-sits to planks or L-sits to handstands, it can be very beneficial to have a spotter or practice facing a wall.
- Once you’re comfortable with various exercises, feel free to use your parallette bars outside. Truth be told, you can get a good workout in anywhere with a set of these bars.
How you utilize the bars will vary depending on your fitness level, but there’s no doubt that they’re beneficial. Parallettes are a training accessory that allow you to train effectively outside of a gym setting.
Needless to say, you really can’t go wrong with any of these options, but the following rankings may help finalize your decision. These rankings are based off of extensive research and the number of positive reviews across the web.
- Vita Vibe Wood Parallettes
- Withgear Folding Push-Up Bars
Regardless of whether or not you decide to make a purchase, all of the four companies above make some of the best parallette bars around. Compared to things like gymnastics rings, parallel bars have a much easier learning curve.
There’s no doubt that parallettes are a fantastic choice – one that could take your training to the next level. These bars are most often used for calisthenics, but that’s not to say they can’t be used for building general strength. A lot of home gym equipment takes up a lot of space, but you have nothing to worry about here.
I must reiterate the fact that calisthenics is a difficult component of fitness, particularly if you’re a beginner. Most of the time, many of the difficult movements like L-sits, suspended planks, and handstands will take time to master. Strength and proper form will come with consistency and practice.
Last but not least, make sure to do your own research before choosing to buy any product. This buying guide is meant to help you make an informed decision, but it’s not an end all be all. Moreover, if you are new to calisthenics or fitness in general, make sure to consult your physician with any major questions or concerns.